Write Your Way Out


Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash

“I wrote my way out” – Alexander Hamilton, Hamilton: the musical
Writing for me is a regenerative and magical experience – an act of healing self-care in and of itself. I can craft words and language into new states of being. Amongst the COVID-anxiety ever-present in our world, word craft empowers me with coping ability to adapt to uncertain times. It is an ontological and creative literary practice that helps me deal with crisis. Blogging helps my personal growth, does not take long to learn to master, is simple and effective self-therapy, and easy practice for the soul. I feel rooted. I feel like I am gardening words. Anyone can write, for me it is an intervention (a self-reliant one) in my own mental health, it helps me stay connected and stop any feelings of isolation or anxiousness. I feel it is a practice that enables me to be psychologically secure and resilient, overcoming any vulnerabilities. It enhances my wellbeing and health. In some ways, like plant magic and herbalism, writing is my own natural remedy – my own beautiful tonic for the mind. For depression and anxiety cost the global economy (according to the World Economic Forum, May 2020) $1 TRILLION a year (workplace health issues, mental health etc). That is, quite literally, insane. So – at the cost of $0 – I encourage everyone to put pencil to paper, typeface to Microsoft word doc or Blogger. Like Hamilton says in the hit musical, I wrote my way out. You can too, write your way out – of ill-health and vulnerability to wholeness and strength.

“At every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairy-tale and the other in the abyss.” – Paulo Coelho

Comments

Popular Posts